Winter months are the same period of the year when colds and flu have the highest prevalence. One of the most irritating symptoms that occur during the flu season and colds is coughing. Due to the fact that coughs can be a very drowsy phenomenon that often disturbs the sleep, many people besides the usual sugary tablets and syrups also refer to natural medicine of folk medicine in order to get rid of unpleasant cough as soon as possible. Here are some natural cough medications that are accepted as effective:
- Hot drinks – teas, hot chocolate and soup – Cough increases when the throat is dry and when you feel scratching. To eliminate this, you need to constantly bring in hot drinks. You will feel great relief regardless of whether you are consuming soup, hot chocolate or tea by taste.
- Honey – It can be said that honey is the most popular and the most effective way to alleviate cough. And medical experts agree that the consumption of honey before bedtime reduces cough and improves sleep. Attention! Never give honey to a child under 1 year.
- Horseradish and Honey syrup – Shred 1/8 teaspoon horseradish and ¼ cup of honey. Let the mixture to stand for several hours, and then drink it as a cough syrup. Apart from coughing, this syrup will make your breathing easier.
- Onion and sugar syrup – Juice of onions is a popular cure for cough. Many argue that this is the only thing that helped them get rid of dry cough. Here’s how to prepare it: Cut the bottom of one head red onion. Then, cut the top and cut the onions by making a hole without piercing the bottom. Fill the head with 2-3 teaspoons of sugar. At the bottom with a sharp knife, make small stings, place the head above the cup or glass and leave it overnight. In the morning take the remaining sugar that stood in the head and mix it with the squeezed juice. Drink the liquid. You can sweeten by will with honey for better taste. So prepared syrup does not actually have such a bad taste as you would think. Drink such syrup twice a day.
- Ginger tea – Ginger can help you reduce cough. Prepare it as tea to take advantage of the benefits of consuming hot liquid.
- Syrup of onions, garlic, thyme and honey – Mix half a cup of honey with half a cup of water and add in this fluid a single piece of onion and a single grated garlic. Add a little thyme and let the mixture stand overnight. The next day drain the liquid and drink it as syrup. Store the syrup in the refrigerator.
- Tea of thyme or basil – Thyme and basil teas also soothe the cough, and for maximum effect, add warm spoonful of honey to them.
- Cooked onions and honey – In a deep bowl, cook the large sliced onions until it softens. Remove the onions and mix with honey. Consume from the mixture every 4 hours little by little.
When should you seek medical attention?
In most cases, a cough is not necessary to consult with a doctor, but if you notice any of the following symptoms, immediately contact your family doctor:
- Cough lasts more than a week and the condition does not improve;
- Body temperature higher than 38 ° С;
- Raising dense greenish, pink or bloody secret;
- A rough sound is heard on the chest like twitching or whistling;
- Difficulty swallowing and breathing;
- Pain or burning in the chest.